DIANA BRAITHWAITE – A vintage and classic blues & jazz performer
When Diana Braithwaite sings, you hear passion, with sultry stories of life beautifully expressed through music. Born in Toronto, Braithwaite is a descendant of the Wellington County pioneers in Canada. With roots in the southern United States her ancestors escaped slavery through the Underground Railroad and lived for four generations in Wellington County, the first African-Canadian pioneer settlement in Ontario.
Growing up, Diana spent summers in Montreal, Quebec, in a place called “Little Burgundy”, the historic African-Canadian neighbourhood where her father and the great jazz musician Oscar Peterson were both born. Dubbed “a national treasure” by JAZZ FM’s Radio host Danny Marks, Diana Braithwaite combines elements from Dinah Washington, Esther Phillips and others to create her own unique appealing and expressive blues style.
CHRIS WHITELEY – A vintage cornet and trumpet jazz & blues performer
Kansas born multi-instrumentalist Chris Whiteley has had an illustrious music career spanning some 40 years.
Whiteley’s extensive touring career includes working with many renowned jazz and blues legends such as Eddie “Cleanhead” Vinson and countless appearances on television and radio including a special guest appearance on Saturday Night Live with the international recording jazz artist Leon Redbone. A multiple award-winning international touring horn player, Chris Whiteley is also a sought-after recording artist and has appeared on over 250 recordings over his successful career as a trumpet and cornet player.
Whiteley, who blows his trumpet with a clear tone and a sublime unique jazz style, has received numerous Canadian Maple Blues Awards as both songwriter and horn player of the year and a Jazz Report Magazine Blues Album of the Year Award.
In 2010 Whiteley was awarded the prestigious BLUES WITH A FEELING AWARD, for lifetime achievement in the blues. In January 2014 Chris Whiteley won the Maple Blues Award for the top blues horn player in Canada–for the 7th time.
- 2020 – Chris Whiteley wins! Best Horn Player of the Year 2019!! Maple Blues Awards
- 2019 – Diana & Chris’s blues recording Gold Cadillac makes the Top 10 list! of the best albums of 2019 – Jazz-FM
- 2018 – Diana Braithwaite – Awarded Global Music Bronze Award – Best Female Jazz Vocalist
- 2018 Winner – Diana Braithwaite Life Time Achievement – Blues With A Feeling Award – Maple Blue Awards
- 2014 Winner Chris Whiteley – Best Horn Player of the Year – Maple Blues Awards -for the 7th time!
- 2011 Winner – Chris Whiteley Life Time Achievement – Blues With A Feeling Award – Maple Blues Awards
- Nominated ~ Best Female Vocalist ~ Maple Blues Awards
- Winner ~ of Canada Council’s Musical Composer’s Award
- Winner of Canada’s SOCAN Best Songwriters Award
- Winner ~ Jazz Report ~ Album of the year
- Winner ~ 7 Time Best Horn Player of the Year Winner
- Maple Blues Awards ~ Canada
- Winner of The African ~ American Women in The Arts Award ~ Chicago, Illinois USA
- Winner of The Golden Sheaf Award ~ Soundtrack
- Best Original Songs for feature-length movie ~ Canada
- Winner of The Cable Ace Award- feature film ~ Los Angeles, USA
- Gemini Award Winner ~ Canada