Winterfolk Fingerstyle Guitar Competition
Date and Time
February 16, 2014. 1:00 PM Start. Room to be advised.
First Prize $500.00, Second Price $250.00, Third Prize $125.00
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us you want to compete.
Don’t attach audio files to the email, but send a link to your website or other web presence/site that has audio/YouTube links, also include your calendar, photo, and brief bio. We will select 24 artists plus standbys to compete, and all will be notified prior to January 11, 2014.
- All players must have a festival admission wristband
- Artists will be introduced by name.**
- Artists are encouraged not to speak to the audience, as it lessens playing time and is not part of the selection criteria.
- Must play instruments acoustically into a microphone. An instrument’s electrical capability cannot be used.
- May retune your instrument between instrumental numbers using a portable electronic tuner.
- Only one instrument allowed on stage for each contestant.
- Maximum stage time of 6 minutes.Contestants should be prepared to play four instrumental numbers - Two numbers will be played in the first round of competition, and the other two in the final round should the contestant be selected as a semi-finalist.
- After all 24 contestants have performed there will be a recess where the judges will pick only 5 contestants to be semi-finalists.
- The 5 chosen semi-finalists will enter into a 2nd round of performances where they will each play 2 numbers.
- After the 5 semi-finalists have performed there will be a short recess where the top 3 will be chosen by the judges.
- From the stage, the master of ceremonies will announce the top 3 winners where they will be awarded 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes.
- All decisions are final!
In an effort to judge the contest objectively and equally, the following criteria will be considered by the judges and assigned numbers as follows:
|Arrangement||30||Contestant’s version and interpretation. Is it appropriate to the tune and instrument? Difficulty factor, originality, etc.|
|Execution||30||Tuning, technique, timing, fingering, picking and dynamics will be considered.|
|Entertainment Value||20||Excitement, emotion, energy, expression.|
|Overall Impression||20||Stage presence, audience rapport and reaction, presentation, etc.|
- May use thumb or finger picks. Flat picks may be used only in combination with fingers.
- May play any style of music.
- Standard/traditional acoustic 6-string or standard/traditional acoustic 12-string arch top or flat top guitars with either steel or nylon strings are allowed.
- Flatpicking and slide techniques are not accepted.
- Standard or traditional style capos may be used, but no capos which allow the alteration of individual strings. If used, capos must be applied across all strings.
** Some guitar competitions choose to locate the judges in a separate room so they cannot see the artists, nor do they know the names of the artists.