Looking for a Few Good Venues
Winterfolk Festival Relocating for 2023
Now going into our 21st year, Toronto’s Winterfolk Blues and Roots Music Festival is presented annually every February in downtown Toronto since 2003.
Winterfolk is an all-ages, mid-winter, weatherproof event, where you’ll find the best of urban, blues, rock, jazz, country, folk and roots music , emulating a multi-stage rural summer festival.
More than 150 artists will be performing at 5 venues over 3 days. The festival will also include special tribute events, an awards ceremony, community stages and various themed musical workshops with something for everyone to enjoy.
Winterfolk is the ideal event for music-lovers seeking new and exciting things to do in Toronto, in February.
<< Sue Foley at Winterfolk XX
Its Time for a Change of Venue
In the last few years presenting on the Danforth, there has been a substantial change in the number and quality of music venues, with many not surviving the pandemic.
It has not been an easy decision for us, but the festival has decided to look for a new neighbourhood in which to present.
Winterfolk emulates the setting of a multi-stage summer park festival, where festival goers move from stage to stage to see their favorite artists.
At Wintefolk, festival goers move from venue to venue over the Winterfolk Weekend.
What Winterfolk Brings to Your Venue and Your Community
Most Winterfolk venue owners have told us that Winterfolk is the usually one of the highest grossing weekend of the Winter.
Winterfolk brings much needed commerce to our venues as well as all the surrounding business’s, in February which is typically a very slow time of year.
Winterfolk finds paid work for more than 100 artists every February, which is typically a slow month for artists
About Our New Winterfolk Venues
For 2023, Winterfolk ideally will present in five venues, all in close proximity within walking distance.
Ideally two of the venues would have a capacity of 100 – 150 seats, two more with capacity of 50 or more seating, and one with 50 or less seats.
Of course our plan is to expand in subsequent years.
We have not yet determined if we will use our standard Winterfolk program, or adapt to a programming standard as used by the Kensington Market Jazz festival.
Winterfolk Tentative Times and Dates
** Preferred dates are Weekend of February 24, 25, 26
|Fri Feb 24
|Sat Feb 25
|Sun Feb 26
For inclusion as a participating venue at Winterfolk XXI, Winterfolk Tentative Times and Dates Please connect with the Winterfolk venue manager Ori Dagan ** Can be changed if needed.
Clips from Winterfolk Past
Winterfolk was formed to entertain, educate, enlighten, engage and encourage our community about various folk music styles including roots, blues, folk and more.
The Winterfolk Festival is a registered non-profit volunteer-based family-focused community organization which strives to celebrate the joy of traditional and contemporary folk, blues and roots, music, and similar.
To share traditional and contemporary folk music highlighting the culture and history of Canada through music, dance and other forms of artistic expression presented through events and educational experiences which celebrates the ever-changing nature of traditional music.
Winterfolk Gives Back to the Music Community
- Since our inception, Winterfolk has paid more than $500,000.00 to our artists. In fact, 80% of Winterfolk revenues to directly to our artists.
- Winterfolk has no full time employees, and is fueled by an army of volunteers.
- Winterfolk finds paid work for more than 100 artists every February, which is typically a slow month for artists
- Winterfolk has auditioned more than 2500 artistsin the last 20 years, and we are still looking for new talent.
- Winterfolk brings much needed commerce to our venues as well as all the surrounding business’s, in February which is typically a very slow time of year.
- Winterfolk works within our community with various music organizations to offer them stages at our festival to increase their public visibility and membership, offer exposure for their events, and in general assist them in meeting the goals of their mission statement.
- Winterfolk lists community organizations in our printed program and various forms of promotion
Did You Know About Winterfolk?
- Winterfolk is a not for profit organization regestered in the province of Ontario.
- Funds collected from submissions, donations, and other fundraising activities are used towards festival expenses, the majority of which is paid to the artists. Typically 80% of the festival budget goes directly to the artists.
- Winterfolk is presented by ‘The Association of Artists for A Better World’, a registered non-profit organization in the Province of Ontario.
- Winterfolk is a member of ‘Folk Music Ontario‘, formerly called the Ontario Council of Folk Festival (OCFF).
- Winterfolk is supported and sanctioned by the Toronto Region BIA (Business Improvement Association)
- Winterfolk lists community organizations in our printed program and various forms of promotion.
5 Strong Wins For Winterfolk
Looking for a Few Good Venues
Contact Winterfolk Venue Coordinator
Please connect with the Winterfolk venue manager Ori Dagan
Ori Dagan will be pleased to answer your questions, and more importantly set you up as a Winterfolk venue for 2023.
We look forward to working with our new partners.