What Winterfolk Offers Artists
- We supply a good audience – Great to break in new territory!
- Typically, we offer artists 2 – 3 paid performance opportunities during the Winterfolk weekend.
- Play for Large Attentive and Appreciative Audiences
- Many Artists Consider Winterfolk a Dream Gig
- Remuneration will be based on budget considerations, which varies every year.
- Sets may be scheduled as a combination of 45 minute sets, and additional shared spots as part of a workshop or seminar.
- Your products and CD’s will be offered for sale at the Winterfolk Festival store.
- Artists get lots of publicity such as interviews and coverage on Radio, TV, Magazine and Newspaper Ads & Flyers, Winterfolk Program Guide – 40,000 copies are distributed at all music stages, Website Listings – bios and pictures posted on our website, and included in media releases. Press and industry will be alerted to music listings including your set times and concert stages.
- Full access to stage, backstage, hospitality privileges valid for the entire music festival. Pass to attend festival events like private artist parties and information sessions.
What We Look for in Artists
Winterfolk is looking for hard working professional artists that meet much of the following criteria:
- creating a ‘buzz’ within the music community
- filling their calendars (4-5 gigs a month or more)
- having a good well maintained website
- generating press and media
- generating radio play
- regular branded email blasts, selling out shows
- getting reviews
- actively promoting through their social media and email blasts, good YouTube presence
- working hard at getting their name out there
- and basically doing things to stand out and differentiate themselves from other artists, etc.
We are always looking for an eclectic mix of performers to play the festival including blues, roots, rock, country, jazz, latin and folk musicians. We appreciate all genres, and always seek quality talent.
Other considerations include emerging talent, creativity, originality, potential draw, live music performances, etc
How Winterfolk Selects Talent
1. Artistic Director Committee will Select About 100 Artists
The AD committee will hire approximately 100 known artists based on a variety of selection criteria, for which the top level consideration falls on artists that best fit the festival programming themes, which vary every year.
Although we hire artists from at least four provinces or territories outside of Ontario, our focus is on southern Ontario talent.
Artist Contact – Winterfolk’s Artistic Consultant & Artist contact person is Bev Kreller at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Submit Online or by Mail
Artists can apply online through Sonicbids online, or via by post. Send press kit to – The Association of Artists For A Better World, 182-4936 Yonge St., Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M2N-6S3, and mark the envelope with ‘Winterfolk Submission’, accompanied with $15.00.
3. Never hurts to meet the festival director
The festival director runs an open stage every Saturday. All artists are welcome to come out and play some tunes. If there is any talent that he believes is ‘festival quality’, it will be reported to the Winterfolk Artistic committee. This is not a festival audition.
If there is any interest on behalf of Winterfolk, they will connect with the artist.